Student Complaints

Student Complaint Policy

The University of the Incarnate Word (UIW) is committed to fostering a learning environment that promotes academic excellence and personal development. Students are encouraged to voice their complaints and concerns in a manner that is respectful of the dignity of the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. It is the policy of UIW that students with complaints are treated honestly and fairly, and that their complaints be handled in a timely manner with regard to resolution of the issue(s) presented. Any UIW student may express a concern or complaint by following these procedures. Please note that UIW explicitly prohibits any member of the UIW community from harassing or retaliating against students who file complaints.

General Guidelines

Complaints are most effectively and efficiently managed by first expressing them to the individual, if any, who is the subject of the complaint. Students are strongly encouraged to first discuss their complaint directly with any such individual involved.

If the complaint involves a policy, procedure, or area of responsibility of a specific administrative department, it should bedirected to the supervisor or manager of that department. In each instance of a departmental complaint, the appropriate individual will investigate the complaint, seek a solution, and report back to the student in writing within 10 school days. The department supervisor/manager will keep a record of the decision.

For more information about how to process a complaint or to appeal a decision, the student should contact the appropriate office below.

Offices to Contact for Different Kinds of Complaints

a) Course Work Complaints

Students who have complaints about what they believe to be unfair treatment involving their academic work should contact the appropriate College/School Dean.

College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, Administration Building 163, CPO 94, (210) 829-6022

HEB School of Business and Administration, Gorman Business & Education Center, 140, CPO 123, (210) 805-5884

Dreeben School of Education, Gorman Business & Education Center, 124, CPO 16, (210) 829-2761

Feik School of Pharmacy,703 E. Hildebrand, CPO 99, (210) 883-1000

Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions, Nursing Building Foyer, CPO 300, (210) 283-5093

Rosenberg School of Optometry, 9725 Datapoint, CPO 373, (210) 883-1194

School of Media and Design, Administration Building 410, CPO 342, (210) 829-6091

School of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering, Science Hall, 112, CPO 68, (210) 829-2718

School of Physical Therapy, 9160 Guilbeau, CPO 412, (210) 283-6472

School of Professional Studies, 3200 McCullough (adjacent to St. Anthony's Catholic High School; CPO 294, (210) 805-5800

b) Other Academic Complaints

Students who have complaints about academic advisement or other issues related to academic policies, procedures, or deadlines should contact the Dean of Student Success,  Student Support Center, CPO 96, (210) 805-3005.  Students who believe they have received unfair treatment involving their academic work must first meet with their instructor.  Unfair treatment applies to any act which may be perceived as either prejudiced or arbitrary in the evaluation of a student’s performance, or in the imposition of sanctions without regard for due process.  If the complaint is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student, the student shall have the right to appeal a decision in writing to the Dean of the school or college, or a person designated by the Dean, where the instructor resides.  The Dean's decision is final and there is no further appeal to another administrative officer.  Students may obtain the formal appeals form from the office of the Dean in whose college/school the instructor resides.

c) Administrative Department Complaints

Students, who have complaints about the policies, procedures, or deadlines of an administrative area of UIW, or the personal treatment they have received from an administrative area of UIW, should contact the appropriate major office of UIW.

Admissions, Administration Building, Room 21, CPO 285, (210) 805-3550

Business Office, Administration Building, Room 190, CPO 291, (210) 829-6088.

Center for Veterans Affairs, Student Engagement Center, Room 3024, CPO 58 (210) 829-2745

Disability Services, Administration Building, Basement Level, CPO 28, (210) 829-3938

Financial Aid, Chapel Building, CPO 308, (210) 829-3912.

Research and Graduate Studies, Administration Building, Room 1A, CPO 387, (210) 805-3555

Library, J.E. and L.E. Mabee Library, Room 215, CPO 297, (210) 829-3837.

Registrar, Administration Building, Room 129, CPO 304, (210) 829-6006.

Technology Services, Library 214, CPO 103, (210) 829-3866.

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct

Members of the UIW community, including students, may file a complaint against any student for alleged violations of the UIW Student Code of Conduct by contacting the Director of Student Conduct and Community Standards, Student Engagement Center, Suite 3150, (210) 805-5864. The Student Code of Conduct can be viewed online at  To report a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, go to

General Concerns or Complaints

Students who have a general complaint regarding UIW policies, procedures, or personnel should contact the Dean of Campus Life, Student Engagement Center, Suite 3150, (210) 805-5863 or report their concerns online at

Harassment Complaints

Students who believe that they have been subjected to harassment or treated in a way that violates UIW’s anti-harassment policy (i.e., harassment related to an individual’s race, color, sex, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or disability) by another student, a UIW employee, a contractor, or a visitor to the campus, should immediately report the alleged harassment to the Director of Human Resources, Administration Building, Fourth Floor, (210) 829-6019, or to the Dean of Dean of Campus Life, Student Engagement Center, Suite 3150, (210) 805-5863. Online reports can also be submitted at

Title IX Complaints

Unlawful discrimination has no place at the University of the Incarnate Word. It violates the University’s core values, including its commitment to equal opportunity and inclusion, and will not be tolerated. The University of the Incarnate Word prohibits sexual misconduct, that can include: (1) sex and gender based discrimination; (2) sexual andsex and gender based harassment (including a hostile environment based on sex or gender); (3) sexual assault; (4) sexual exploitation; (5) stalking; and (6) relationship violence (including dating and domestic violence). For more information, or to reportan incident, please visit


Related Forms

Report an Incident